OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2012

From:
Don Stover <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Don Stover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jul 2012 06:28:56 -0400
I took my new kayak out on its and mine maiden voyage on Alum creek lake.
My buddy Ken who was teaching me the finer points of staying alive spotted
a juvunile little blue heron on the west side of the lake aprox. 1/4 mile
south of the osprey platforms. We got a very good look at it by not
paddeling directly at it but just quietly moved in at an angle. This was a
life bird for me. We also spotted a bitern, several juvenil great blue
herons, two cormerants and belted kingfishers both adult and juvenile
everywhere. At the osprey nesting platform we saw the two juvenile osprey
on platform #4 exercising their wings. It appears they have not gotten up
the nerve to make that first flight. One of them almost got blown away
from the platform when a heavy gust of wind hit it just as it flew up
about two feet. It quickly ploped back down just in time. They do appear
ready to make that first flight but I think the wind was intimidating them
today. There was one adult and two juvinile osprey on platform #1. I like
this kayaking thing. It lets me get fairly close to the birds without
spooking them plus I didn't drown.