OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2015

From:
John Schutt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Schutt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 2015 17:44:28 -0500
Hello,

A colleage of mine at Rhodes State College came excitedly to my office this
afternoon. He had seen a bird around 12:30 p.m. while driving into our
parking lot. He asked me what it could be. He then described that it was
all white except for some gray on the belly (almost striped) and had a flat
face. I asked him the size and he raised his hand about 18-20" off my desk
and estimated the wingspan to be three to four feet and then stretched his
arms out to maybe five feet. The wings were very rounded. He said that it
had come swooping in from one direction, banked tight (this is how he saw
the wing shape,) grabbed something from the ground (or near it,) and then
took off again. He said that it was a "Harry Potter owl" and that it was
the coolest thing that he had ever seen.

We talked about it possibly being an albino. He said that if it were, then
it wouldn't have gray on the belly. And, it didn't have tuffs on the head.

So, I'm guessing that it was a snowy?