OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2011

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Ohio birds <[log in to unmask]>
From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Aug 2011 13:45:11 -0400
A walk close to home this morning proved to be very rewarding. I birded the Greenbower Road Area at Berlin Reservoir from 9:15AM to 11:30AM. This location is in extreme northeast Stark County just west of SR225. The water level at Berlin appeared to be about the same as last weekend after this past weeks rains. Two productive shorebird areas were found this morning; one viewed looking north from Greenbower thru the trees, and the other a short trek with Muck boots to the mudflats at the confluence of the Mahoning River and Deer Creek. 42 species of birds were identified during my walk. Highlights were a Peregrine Falcon rousting 12 Great Egrets from their roost tree, then flushing most of the shorebirds, and anything else it could pursue. While bushwhacking thru a willow thicket, 3 Black-crowned Night-Herons (2 adults and 1 juvenile) startled me when they flew out. Other birds of interest and how many that were seen today:  Double-crested Cormorant 18+,  Great Blue Heron 35+,   Green Heron  6,   Osprey  3 (1 at the Greenbower nest),   Broad-winged Hawk  1,   Semi-palmated Plover  28+,   Killdeer  40+,   Greater Yellowlegs  1,   Lesser Yellowlegs  35+,   Solitary Sandpiper 12,   Spotted Sandpiper  2,   Semipalmated Sandpiper 5,   Least Sandpiper  50+,   Pectoral Sandpiper  8,   Stilt Sandpiper  1,   and Warbling Vireo  1. To reach the conflence area, park at the large open area on the right just before the bridge, there are usually fishermen around, walk across the bridge and immediately go down the slope to the right. Follow the west bank of the Mahoning River a short distance to a green opening on the left. Walk thru the green to the mudflats and skirt the edge of the willows going left of the Osprey nest. Continue to the north checking out all the mudflats till you reach the open water. A spotting scope is necessary. Bob Lane / Mahoning County