OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2007

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2007 16:49:07 -0400
I bracketed the rain today with visits to 2 local park corridors along streams looking for funneling migrants.  In the morning I biked through the Big Walnut Greenbelt ( a series of parks along Big Walnut Creek here in Gahanna), while in the afternoon I spent another hour walking the Alum Creek bikepath around Parkview Park & Tanager Woods.  Both sites have narrow riparian strips, along with some recovering second growth and a few fields.  Both had surprisingly similar lists of migrants, so they probably represent an accurate snapshot of todays migration through Columbus.  Highlights included

Woodpeckers - lots of the expected residents, but also good #s of Flickers at both sites, and 2 sapsuckers at AlumCreek

Hummingbirds - at least 1 was still hanging around flowers along BigWalnut

Flycatchers - lots of Phoebes (5 at BW, 2 at AC), fewer Pewees (2 at AC), and a laggard Acadian flycatcher at Big Walnut

Vireos - a few Red-eyed at both locations, and a Philadelphia at BW

Wrens - aside from resident Carolinas, there were also good #s of House Wrens at both sites (3 BW, 5 AC), a Marsh Wren luring in a pocket marsh at BW, and an early Winter Wren bobbing through the underbrush at AC

Thrushes - Swainsons were common at both sites (10+ at BW, 6+ at AC), and a Gray-cheeked was at BW.  This parallels the prior evening, where a half-hour vigil produced 12 Swainsons and 3 Gray-cheeked flyovers

Cedar Waxwings - flocks of 20-25 were feeding on cherries along both sites

Warblers - surprisingly similar lists, w/ 9 species at BW and 8 at AC, with Magnolias the most common at each site closely followed by Redstarts, then Yellow-rumps.  Also present: Tenn (both), Nashville (BW), Bl-thr.Green (2 at each), Cape May (both), Black&White (both), Palm (BW), Ovenbird (BW), Yellowthroat (AC)

Tanagers - only 1 Scarlet (at AC)

Grosbeaks,Buntings - good day fro Rose-br.Grosbeaks, with 3 at BW and 2 at AC.  Buntings were only at AC

Bobolinks - single flyovers were at both sites.

Sparrows - small flocks of Chipping at each site, and an early Swamp was at AC