From:
Scott Albaugh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scott Albaugh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 2010 16:17:28 -0400
I wasn’t sure if this information was post-worthy or not at first, but after
thinking about it I have obviously decided to post it.

I visited Fernwood State Forest in Jefferson County on Saturday March
20thin search of ravens.
I spent one hour in the area of the Little Round Campground and did not hear
or see any ravens.  For anyone that does not know, Fernwood State Forest is
the site of the first confirmed raven nest (someone correct me if I’m wrong,
please) in Ohio in around 100 years.  There have only been a handful of
confirmed raven sightings in Ohio between the early 1900’s and January of
2006.

Because I live relatively close to Fernwood and have worked on that block
for the Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas, I have encountered the ravens quite a few
times.  It’s likely that I have encountered those particular ravens more
than anyone else in the state, starting with the initial sighting in January
of 2006.  My observations and encounters with the Fernwood ravens have on
every occasion been very brief.  I have never seen the birds twice in the
same outing; and there have been a few occasions when I didn’t see them at
all, but just heard a faint distant “croak.”  It has been my experience that
these birds are very wary and skittish.  I realize that ravens have a quite
different reputation, as they are often encountered in close proximity to
areas occupied by humans.  I’m not an expert on ravens and can only
speculate on why these birds are so skittish.

Last year in March I visited Fernwood to search for ravens.  On that day I
hiked the forest (the same forest that had hosted a family of ravens the
year before) for 3 hours and heard only a single “croak.”  I also saw the
signs and the road that had been built for the logging of the forest.  At
that time I wondered what impact the logging would have on the ravens.

The reason that I am posting this on the listserve is that I am occasionally
contacted by birders for information on strategies for finding ravens in the
Fernwood area.  Based on my last visit to Fernwood two weeks ago, I’d
venture to say that the status of the Fernwood ravens is questionable.  Before
the logging, I would often say with confidence that it was the most reliable
spot in the state for ravens.  I wouldn’t say that now.  BUT, I also
wouldn’t say that the Fernwood ravens are gone.  They have proven in the
past to be somewhat difficult to locate and one hour of searching is not
enough time to close the curtain on them.  I encourage birders to visit
Fernwood in search of ravens so that we may discover whether or not the
logging has impacted their presence in the area and potential nesting.  My
advice for anyone visiting the area is to come prepared to spend a few hours
walking the main road and listening. The only way we will know if ravens are
still in Fernwood is to spend some time looking and listening.  It’s a task
that is no doubt going to take some effort.

And by the way…eastern Ohio is a cool place to bird.  If you happen to visit
during the breeding season feel free to stop by one of the many OBBA2 atlas
blocks on page 63 in the old Delorme that is lacking in data.  Any help is
greatly appreciated.  OK, yeah, that last part was a shameless cry for help.

Scott Albaugh