From:
Robb Clifford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robb Clifford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 2008 10:09:25 -0400
The Early Morning Discovery Hike this morning at Shawnee Prairie Preserve
outside of Greenville was sparsely populated due to the COLD weather, BUT we
still came away with 33 spp!  Most notable would be the 2 Wild
Turkeys(hens?) spotted in a neighboring field!  In addition, we had a
Blue-headed
Vireo and a Black-and-White Warbler grace us with their presence, if only
for a few short minutes.  Also, saw a male Indigo Bunting (a first for the
year).

Also included in this email is the eBird report for a hike that another
Naturalist and I took YESTERDAY, April 28th.  We had a few warblers,
including a Common Yellowthroat, a Palm Warbler and a Yellow Warbler...also
spotted a Solitary Sandpiper at the old "clay pits"...but the BEST BY FAR
was the Gray-cheeked Thrush!!  After getting several GOOD looks at it, and
checking through all of the bird guides we could find, we came to the
conclusion that is what we spotted.  Very good find indeed  =D

Below you will find first the abridged list from April 28...and then an
abridged list from this morning's hike.  (sorry for the late post from
yesterday...busy time of year)

Location:     DCP - Shawnee Prairie Preserve
Observation date:     4/28/08
Notes:     Grey-cheeked Thrush spotted at Mud Creek from the Bridge!!
Number of species:     39

Wood Duck     X
Solitary Sandpiper     1
Hairy Woodpecker     1
Northern Flicker     X
Eastern Phoebe     X
House Wren     X
Ruby-crowned Kinglet     1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher     X
Eastern Bluebird     2
Gray-cheeked Thrush     1
Gray Catbird     1
Yellow Warbler     1
Palm Warbler     1
Common Yellowthroat     1
Chipping Sparrow     X

Location:     DCP - Shawnee Prairie Preserve
Observation date:     4/29/08
Notes:     EMDH - COLD (37) - Rained Overnight  - Turkeys in the south
field!
Number of species:     33

Wild Turkey     2
Blue-headed Vireo     1
House Wren     X
Ruby-crowned Kinglet     X
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher     X
Eastern Bluebird     1
Gray Catbird     X
Black-and-white Warbler     X
Indigo Bunting     1

And of course 'All the Usuals' were also spotted  =)

--
Robb Clifford
- Naturalist -

Darke County Parks
www.darkecountyparks.org

"We need another and a wiser, and perhaps a more mystical concept of
animals. Remote from universal nature and living by complicated artifice,
man in civilization surveys the creature through the glass of his knowledge
and sees thereby a feather magnified and the whole image in distortion. We
patronize them for their incompleteness, for their tragic fate of having
taken a form so far below ourselves. And therein we err, and greatly err.
For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more
complete than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions
of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall
never hear. They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other
nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners
of the splendor and travail of the earth."
-Outermost House by Henry Beston-