From:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Apr 2011 19:52:51 -0700
I headed down to Shawnee SF yesterday, April 13 and poked around the southern part of the forest. I went back today, April 14 and check out the northern half. Since the afternoon was dead quiet yesterday at Shawnee I went to the CCWA this afternoon.

I can sum it up by saying that this is a completely average year there. That's good, though, compared some recent years. The trees are leafing out and the various species are arriving on schedule more or less. Species already widely reported such as Yellow-throated, Pine, and Black-and-white Warblers, Louisiana Waterthrush, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Brown Thrasher, Eastern Phoebe, Chipping Sparrow, and Eastern Towhee were all numerous in suitable habitat. The Black-and-whites were probably more numerous in the southern part of the forest than the north, but were still plentiful in the north.

Other noteworthy species that are just trickling in on schedule include from yesterday in the south included :

1 Broad-winged Hawk
1 W-e Vireo
1 B-h Vireo
1 Y-t Vireo
1 B-t Green Warbler
1 Prairie Warbler
2 Ovenbirds
2 Hooded Warblers

Today in the north there were more birds of note. I don't know if that was because of more arrivals over the night or if it's because there is just so little  real forest left in the south because of all the logging and fires. I suspect it could be a little of both. Some birds seen today included :

3 Broad-winged Hawks
2 W-e Vireos
4 B-h Vireos
2 Y-t Vireos
2 Wood Thrushes
1 Blue-winged Warbler
1 N Parula
1 Prairie Warbler
3 Am Redstarts
1 Worm-eating Warbler
~15 Ovenbirds
5 Hooded Warblers
2 Scarlet Tanagers
1 Indigo Bunting

The only real surprise was the Indigo Bunting. I think this is my earliest record for them. The bird was a fully molted male that was completely blue without any splotches. None of other species mentioned were early date records for me. There are other species that I would have expected to start showing up about now such as Cerulean Warbler and Red-eyed Vireo, but they should start appearing soon. Migrants such as Yellow-rumped Warbler and Golden-crowned and Ruby-crowned Kinglets while present in all parts of the forest were in general were few and far between. Other migrants that are usually present at this date such as Nashville and Blackburnian Warblers weren't detected yet.

Both today and yesterday were 7 woodpecker days. There are still plenty of Y-b Sapsuckers around down there and territorial Red-headed Woodpeckers were found in both halves of the forest. Red-headeds seem to have a sort of irruptive presence at Shawnee not only as nesters but in the fall and winter as well.

The Crown City Wildlife Area was as beautiful as ever, but also pretty quiet this afternoon. Widely distributed species such as Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, Eastern Bluebirds, Brown Thrashers, Field and Song Sparrows, Eastern Towhees, and Eastern Meadowlarks were all numerous. Raptors noted included Northern Harriers and Broad-winged Hawks. Sparrows that don't nest there, but were seen today included several Dark-eyed Juncos, at least 5 Vesper Sparrows, and a Swamp Sparrow. The short list of notable territorial birds detected that are apparently just beginning to trickle in included :

1 Yellow Warbler
1 Prairie Warbler
1 Henslow's Sparrow
1 Grasshopper Sparrow

Cliff Swallows are back at several bridges over the Scioto River in Pike and Scioto counties.

Gas prices are all over the place in Ohio. The lowest price I found was at a BP in Portsmouth along Rt. 52 at $3.749 a gallon. The highest was right down the road along Rt. 52 in Ironton, also at a BP, at $3.949 per gallon. It's going to be an expensive spring!

Bob Royse

Robert Royse
www.roysephotos.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6042 (20110414) __________