From:
Stefan Gleissberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stefan Gleissberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 May 2016 00:30:12 -0400
The emergence of brood V cicadas is imminent in much of the eastern parts of Ohio.

For a forthcoming issue of The Cerulean, I am asking Ohio birders to submit their best photos of birds eating cicadas, or birds with cicadas. Also of interest are short observation notes without photo documentation.

- Photos must be from Ohio from the 2016 cicada emergence
- Include location and date
- Include your name and indicate permission to publish in The Cerulean (photo credit will be given)
- Avoid sending more than 10 MB per email - it may not get through. If convenient, just send a link to an online photo repository (such as flickr).

More than 30 bird species have been reported to feast on periodic cicadas in previous outbreaks, including Blue Jays, Cardinals, Woodpeckers, Titmouse and Chickadees, Grackles and Blackbirds, and various flycatchers. Let’s see if Ohio birders can extend the list!

Yellow-billed and Black-billed Cuckoos appear to be particularly drawn to them - it would be interesting to see if birders encounter more cuckoos than usual.

Please send your photos to  [log in to unmask] Use the word “cicada” in your subject line.

I am looking forward to your documentation of birds dealing with this unique nature spectacle!

Dr. Stefan Gleissberg
Editor, The Cerulean
Director, South-East Ohio
Ohio Ornithological Society