From:
Kimberly Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 2008 10:43:28 EDT

Just in time for the peak of spring  migration, Kenn Kaufman has assembled a
wealth of information and advice for  birding in northwestern Ohio, and it is
all just a click away from the  Black Swamp Bird Observatory (BSBO)  website
at _www.bsbobird.org_ (http://www.bsbobird.org/) .
Our new birding pages (which are  located, appropriately, at
_www.bsbobird.org/birding/_ (http://www.bsbobird.org/birding/)  ) include directions  and maps
for many top birding spots, an overview of the timing of migration,  local
birding events and programs, BSBO partners and area nature centers, ideas  for
discounted local lodging, and a downloadable local bird checklist in PDF
format.  Kenn is in the process of  designing maps for birding these areas.  Be
sure to check out the maps he  has completed for Magee and Metzger!
The main feature, however, will be  predictions and advice about when and
where to go birding during the migration  seasons.  Based on years of BSBO
research, it is possible to predict with fair accuracy when the big “waves” of
migrants will arrive, so Kenn will be watching the weather patterns and posting
frequent updates and alerts.  Visit  us often, so you’ll know when to go
birding and when to plan on being late for  work!
In addition, some of Kenn’s notes from  spring 2007 and earlier will be
available on the site, in case you want to read  about what happened on certain
dates in the past.  And as always, the BSBO website will be  updated with our
current research project information, including our raptor  count and passerine
migration monitoring.  Make regular visits to _www.bsbobird.org_
(http://www.bsbobird.org/)  and its new birding pages if you  want to make the most of your
spring birding!
And,  be sure to stop in the BSBO Nature Center located just inside the
entrance to  Crane Creek State Park and Magee Marsh WA to check out the sightings
board,  and see what birds are can be found on our new walking trail and at the
feeding  station outside our window on wildlife.
Good  Birding,
Kim  Kaufman
Education Director
Black  Swamp Bird Observatory