OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2006

[log in to unmask][log in to unmask], 16 Oct 2006 19:25:22 -0400391_US-ASCII I made a quick visit to the Deer Creek Reservoir this afternoon. Unfortunately it turned out to be a crappy day with rain or drizzle the whole time I was there, so birding was limited. The water level is finally being let down there, and mudflats are beginning to appear at the north end near Pancoastburg. Some of the birds seen at the few vantage points I checked included : [...]40_16Oct200619:25:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2006 20:52:21 EDT
Hello!

As a follow up to my post of Saturday, Oct. 21st, I have returned the past  3
days to bird the pet trail at this park just north of Columbus to observe any
 trends or changes in species/quantities.  Of special note was last evening
when I would observe anywhere from 2 to 16 Turkey Vultures flying south at
fairly low altitudes as I walked along the trail.  Eventually, I was  in the
back loop of the trail towards dusk observing various sparrow species on  the
ground when I happened to look up and behind me to see a huge  kettle of Turkey
Vultures gliding in a somewhat circular fashion within a fairly  tight "ball"
at a fairly low altitude.  At one point, the setting sun  peeked through a
break in the clouds to cast a golden hue on the outer edges of  some of the wing
feathers of the vultures.  It truly was an awesome  sight!  I lost count at 132
before the flock drifted off to the north and  my best conservative estimate
of the total flock size was about 150-160.  I  did have my "point and shoot"
digital camera with me and took a few somewhat  crude photos if anyone is
interested in seeing them (e-mail me privately).

Also, I observed the first Fox Sparrows of the season last evening and
tonight.  Field Sparrow numbers have steadily declined, whereas  White-Throated
Sparrows consistently were the dominant  species.  My observations for the three
respective evenings were  as follows:

Eastern Phoebe 0-1-0
Hermit Thrush 5-4-1
Ruby-Crowned Kinglet 1-0-2
Winter Wren 0-1-0

Brown Creeper 0-1-0

Fox Sparrow 0-8-4 (most seen in the back loop)
Yellow-Rumped Warbler 50+, ~30, ~30
Barred Owl 0-1-0
Chipping Sparrow 0-1-0
White-Crowned Sparrow 2 (juv)-1 (adult)-0 (all near back loop)
White-Throated Sparrow 75+, 100+, 75+
Swamp Sparrow 5-1-1
Field Sparrow 11-6-0
Song Sparrow 8-14-9
Eastern Towhee 8-6-6
Eastern Bluebird 1-0-0
Northern Mockingbird 0-0-1 (by the pond)
Carolina Wren 2-5-4
Pied-Billed Grebe 0-1-1
Red-Winged Blackbird 2-0-18 (at the pond)
Northern Flicker 0-5-4
Cedar Waxwing 0-5-14
American Goldfinch 7-0-0
American Crow 0-12-1
Coopers Hawk 1-0-0
Red-Tailed Hawk 0-1-1
Little Brown Bat 0-0-1 (I know it's technically a mammal : ) )
Cardinals, Downies, Red-Bellieds, Chickadees, Titmice, Blue Jays,  Starlings,
House Finch, Mourning Doves, Nuthatches (White-Breasted), Robins +,  and GB
Heron

The White-Throated Sparrows have been chowing down predominantly  on
Honeysuckle berries whereas the Yellow-Rumped Warblers have been sucking down  Poison
Ivy berries.  Again, I observed a Hermit Thrush last evening  fluttering in
mid-air while he/she would pull wild grapes off of the  vines.  It always
interesting to observe the various traits/characteristics  of the different species.

Directions to Highbanks are at _www.metroparks.net_
(http://www.metroparks.net) .

Rob Lowry
Powell, Ohio