OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2009

From:
Sean Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sean Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Mar 2009 12:26:36 -0400
Had my first singing Chipping Sparrows this morning at Blue Limestone
down by the Delaware Run. Red caps, whitish breasts, facial patterns,
and all. Three birds were singing, and one was just associated with
another chipper. A Winter Wren was nice to hear singing. The main show
for me though were the Pine Siskins. See list and details below:

Observation date:     3/28/09
Number of species:     36

Canada Goose     14
Mallard     8
Killdeer     3
Mourning Dove     5
Belted Kingfisher     1, female, quite active and vocal
Red-bellied Woodpecker     6
Downy Woodpecker     12
Hairy Woodpecker     3
Northern Flicker     3
Eastern Phoebe     8, lots now, almost all of them singing
Blue Jay     20
American Crow     10
Horned Lark     2
Carolina Chickadee     15
Tufted Titmouse     4
White-breasted Nuthatch     7
Brown Creeper     1
Carolina Wren     6
WINTER WREN     1, singing, great views
Golden-crowned Kinglet     14
American Robin     25
European Starling     20
Eastern Towhee     6, many singing
CHIPPING SPARROW     4, 3 singing, all around pine, good to have them back!
Field Sparrow     1, also singing
Song Sparrow     5
White-throated Sparrow     29
Dark-eyed Junco     28
Northern Cardinal     42
Red-winged Blackbird     10
Common Grackle     15
Brown-headed Cowbird     8
House Finch     5
PINE SISKIN     13, courtship display? Here's what they were doing- in
a group of three birds, one bird sat atop a pine tree while two others
were in chase, singing nonstop. Eventually one siskin dissuaded the
other, and the victor "danced" around the lone bird at the top, making
elaborate wing beats and singing. I had never seen such behavior in
siskins, but I watched for about 30 mins. Has anyone else seen this
behavior? (safe dates, Aaron?)
American Goldfinch     9
House Sparrow     20

Good birding,