OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2008

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Ohio birds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2008 17:16:44 EDT
Today Bill Heck joined me at the Hoover Nature Preserve to recover and
reinstall Prothonotary Warbler nest boxes downed by the recent storm. All  the nest
boxes in Area M, Area N and Mudhen Marsh are now back up and ready.  That
accounts for 72 nest boxes. That means only 178 left to either check for  storm
damage or clean and do maintenance. I considered it a good productive  effort
that couldn't have been done without Bill's assistance and encouragement.
Columbus Audubon is very lucky to count him within their ranks. I greatly
appreciate all the help he has been to me this year.

We did slow down at one point. Being birders we couldn't resist observing
the birds that were flitting around as we worked and walked. We had an owl take
flight before getting a good look, we think it was the resident Barred Owl at
 Mudhen Marsh. There were warblers feeding and flitting about at Mudhen
Marsh, as  well as some distant shorebirds (no spotting scope - already had enough
to lug  around). Area M also had shorebirds, but sans a spotting scope we
could only  identify those very close. There did appear to be a variety on the
mudflats and  with a scope it would be worth a look.

Species we did identify included:
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Green Heron
Turkey Vulture
Snow Goose     (injured bird that has been around  for several years)
Graylag Geese    (Corrupting the Snow Goose)
Canada Geese
Wood Duck   (1 drake, 1 hen)
Mallard
Osprey