OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2006

Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 2006 10:32:16 -0500
I was introduced to birding this past spring.
I joined the mailing list about a month ago.

As a beginner I have observed the following:

1.  It would be very helpful if specific directions or locations are
included with more of the sightings posted.  I know this is mentioned in
the guidelines already, but many posts do not include these details.
Mentioning that the birds were seen "in the usual places" is not only
vague, but it give the beginner the feeling that they are totally out of
the loop.

2.  I have been pleased with off-list responses to my inquiries about
specific locations.

3.  I find the clarifications and explanations offered by Kenn Kaufman
and others to be informative and helpful.  Some of the information is
over my head, but I am becoming familiar with new terms and concepts.

4.  Abbreviated bird names are DEFINITELY not helpful to the beginner.
This is also mentioned in the guidelines.

5.  At first I thought the guidelines about hunting, cats, etc, were
restrictive but upon watching the latest hunting thread develop I now
fully agree with that guideline.  (No offense to those who posted in
that thread.)

6.  It would be nice to discuss how to attract birds, the merits of
feeding, etc, but I feel as others that this would be better done in an
easily searchable message board.

7.  It is nice to hear about hotspots like Magee Marsh, etc, but I
wonder how many birders are seeing birds on their daily drives and in
out of the way places.  The more posts about small wildlife management
areas, parks, cemeteries or inland lakes would be helpful to the
beginner who is not equipped to travel to a hotspot across the state
just yet.

Thanks to all who have posted.  I have enjoyed being a silent observer
and hope to post someday soon.

Troy Gilmore