OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2007

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2007 12:26:33 -0800
sSims Park in Euclid this morning had a lot of new
variety.  The lake was smooth as glass, SSE winds
13mph, 23F.  Very different from yesterday.  I was
there from about 10:30 to 1:30pm.  When I arrived at
Sims with Jim McConnor and Anders Fjeldstad after
being at East 72nd St for the Blackbrook Audubon walk
we ran into Ray Hannikman, Jerry Talkington and Emil
Bacik who were on the pier looking at the King Eider
further west of the pier. (yea somebody confirmed my
sighting)  Later we walked to the far west end of the
park from the high hill for a better view of the KING
EIDER.  Jerry finally realized there were two
different first winter KING EIDERS because one had a
different breast pattern than he had seen earlier from
the pier.  He would be looking at one saying it is
diving now and I would say no - I am looking at it now
in a different place.  There was an adult Bald Eagle
that Jerry, Emil and Chet saw trying to catch a male
Red-breasted Merganser four different times.  He would
get it about 15 feet up and kept dropping it.  He
finally gave up.  Delores Cole and Lisa Chapman
arrived and saw the Eiders and then 24 Ruddy Ducks
swam right into the cove by the shore after the ducks
had been very far east of the pier earlier.  Later
when people started leaving I saw an immature Bald
Eagle catching fish in the same area the adult Eagle
had been.  Right after I followed the Eagle for a few
moments the last Eider disapeared so I left soon after
that.  Here is a list of some of the birds we saw
today some of them counted by Jerry.

Canvasback 20
Redhead 21
Lesser Scaup - dozens
Black Scoter 3
Surf Scoter approx 30
White-winged Scoter 3
Common Goldeneye - didn't count- more than 160
Bufflehead - dozen or more
Common Mergansers - approx 15 flying by
Ruddy Ducks 24
Common Loon 1 (found by Jim)
Bald Eagle  2 (adult & immature)
Red-tailed Hawk 1 seen driving into park
American Coot 1 or 2
Great Black-backed Gulls - at least 10-12
Ring-billed & Herring Gulls
Downy Woodpecker 1
Canada Geese & Mallards

Nancy Anderson