OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2007

From:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2007 01:21:01 -0500
Hi all,

I forgot to comment on Laura's excellent observation about more American
Kestrels in the Holmes County area than other locales. I bet this is right,
because much that area is still a wonderful mosaic of smaller farms,
meadows, and fields with more diverse "weeds" - similar to what much of
agricultural Ohio used to resemble in decades past. I also suspect that
she's right about the lack of pesticide use, too, and maybe that factors
into the presence of more kestrels in that area. That this area remains a
hotspot for kestrels in winter seems to be borne out by Christmas Bird Count
data. For instance, the Millersburg and Ragersville counts, both in that
general area and well-covered by observers, have high numbers of kestrels
that have remained pretty stable over the past decade. If only all of the
state was faring that well for kestrels!

Jim McCormac
Columbus, Ohio