OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2007

From:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jan 2007 13:36:41 -0500
Email message sent on behalf of Dick Tuttle:

I do want to applaud Kathi Hutton for her post mixing a little caution to
just putting up a nestbox.  Also, as an 18 year cavity nesting species
active conservationist (per Dick Tuttle), way too many people think all they
have to do is to put up a box and the birds will come and that is it.  It
takes an incredible amount of committment to monitor the nestbox AFTER
putting the box in a favorable habitat AND in a bird-safe manner and AND
keeping non-native species out so the native birds can be successful.

I have kestrel boxes I can donate to The Wilds if they have someone to
monitor the boxes.

Dick Tuttle was my mentor with cavity nesting species and as Jim McCormac
has noted; "Too bad Dick Tuttle, nestbox
builder extraordinaire, can't be cloned"!.  So contact Dick Tuttle and you
won't be disappointed with his advise.  He is an expert to establish
successful bluebird trails and Tree Swallow grids and his work with Osprey
platforms is first class and very successful.  Feel free to contact him
through the email address below.

Regards,
Darlene Sillick
Powell, Ohio