OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2007

From:
RICHARD COUNTS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
RICHARD COUNTS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2007 06:09:16 -0500
Yesterday afternoon I started my winter atlas study at the Longbrake wetlands in Hardin Co. Some of the birds of note are as follows:

Canada Goose  165
Am. Black Duck  135
Mallard  1,100
N. Pintail  4
Ring Necked Duck  9
Lesser Scaup  1
Great Blue Heron  2
N. Harrier  27
Am. Kestrel  2
Great Horned Owl  1
Short Eared Owl  11
Horned Lark  7
Am. Tree Sparrow  125
Lapland Longspur  3
E. Meadowlark  47

Also a reminder; There are a few hunters who have permission to duck hunt at this area. Please don't walk the area if this is taking place. Big Island and Killdeer Plains are a short distance away if you find you can't bird at Longbrakes. The care taker who lives on the property told me of his concern when birders walked back to the wetlands a few weeks ago while 4 hunters were happily blasting away. An accident at this area will definitely keep this area off limits to all birdwatchers. Thank you and please use good judgment when birding here. Mr. Longbrake has been gracious enough to grant us permission to enjoy this fabulous area.

Now back to the birds. The Harriers and Short eared owls are simply amazing here. Last evening before roosting there were 18 Harriers in one field flying together. They are in constant battle with the owls for air space. Both owls and hawks are very vocal during these airier displays. They can easily be seen from the gravel pull off on road 50.
Rick Counts