OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2007

From:
David True <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David True <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2007 23:30:51 -0500
On Saturday I visited Ottawa NWR and walked the various trails.  It was unseasonably warm for Ottawa so I wasn’t sure if the refuge would be bird-plentiful.  The trails closest to the Lake Erie shoreline were very productive for waterfowl.  This included 44 Snow Geese of which about half were white phase and the rest blue.  There were well over 100 individuals of Tundra Swan, 4 Mute Swans and several banded Trumpeter Swans.  Over 20 Northern Pintails mixed in with Mallards, American Black Ducks, and Common Mergansers.  There were Great Black-backed Gulls mixed with the more common Ring-billed and Herring.  And of course Bald Eagles were plentiful with one tree having five perched eagles and numerous others flying about.  The wet woods near the visitor center had many common songbirds as well.  For the waterfowl, a long walk with spotting scopes will probably be necessary for the best chance of observation.

David True
or