OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2007

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 13:30:42 -0500
        The Franklin County Metro Parks are developing their biotic survey, and
accompanying checklists of taxa. For the bird list, they are interested
in unusual bird records (really unusual--they are closing in on ~300
species now) for the system. For example, they now have 33 shorebird
species, but surprisingly lack a good willet record, along with less
likely species such as piping plover and red phalarope.
        They want to make the list as complete as possible, so observers are
invited to contribute documented sightings (by observer, with date,
precise location, and additional details). Laughing and Franklin's gulls
are missing from the list, as is lark sparrow, as examples. The Metro
Parks now include areas in Madison, Union, Pickaway, Hocking, Fairfield
and maybe other counties I don't recall (see the Web site
http://www.metroparks.net/ ), so past records in areas outside of
Franklin County are quite important.
        These biotic surveys are done by all park systems this time of year,
and they all will welcome solid contributions to their checklists of
birds, as well as other taxa, if you carefully record them. Please help
if you can. I'll be glad to pass along any for the Franklin Co Metro
Park system.
Bill Whan
Columbus