OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2007

From:
"Patrick G. Coy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patrick G. Coy
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 21:57:38 -0500
A 90-minute hike today behind our house up one of the headwater
ravines of Salt Run in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park revealed many
of the usual winter woodlands suspects for NE Ohio.

But the best birds were probably the 5 Eastern Bluebirds and the 2
Brown Creepers. The bluebirds were special insofar as they are not
common hereabouts in January but even more so because they were in
full winter mode: feeding on berries and hawking the occasional insect
down in the bottom of a ravine--deep in the woods--while traveling
with a band of Juncos, Golden-crowned Kinglets, and Tufted Titmice.
And the Brown Creepers, well, they are just always a treat aren't
they?

I topped the day off with 3 Short-eared Owls at dusk hunting over the
old Coliseum site in the CVNP at 303 and 271.

Patrick Coy
Peninsula