OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2007

From:
Mike Yough <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Yough <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jan 2007 14:49:07 -0500
Greetings all good birders.

My wife and I did a very cursory examination of the Haul Rd. Quarries
just east of the Olentangy River and south of Greenlawn Cemetary in
Columbus this morning (time constraints and rain prevented a more
satisfying visit).

The usual subjects were present (i.e. a few Mallard) including 8 or so
REDHEAD. Mixed in with this tight group on the far side of the west
pond were a few GADWALL, SCAUP sp. (head shape indicated Greater, but
I wasn't confident enough to call it at that distance), and HOODED
MERGANSER (there were 5-6 others on the east pond).

Of most interest was what appearred to be a Gadwall with some Mallard
heritage to the best of my guesses. The bird appeared to have all the
markings of a Gadwall save for a white ring around the front side of
the throat. It also appeared to be a bit larger than the other Gadwall
it associated with (though the bird was at a bit of a distance).

I didn't do a very good examination of the gull flock on the east pond
other than to label the group as a whole (Ring-billed). There surely
could've been other gull species present.

Other notables: a few Pied-billed Grebe on the west pond and a male
Belted Kingfisher on the east.

Thanks to Rob Thorn for directions!

Good birding to all.

Mike Yough