OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2007

From:
Richard Cressman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 1 Jan 2007 22:17:22 -0500
Green Lawn Cem Columbus, Jan 1

I went there after the rain stopped (about 2:30) and toured the area.

About 4:00 while resting near the bench at the pit, the Jays were getting
excited about something in the trees on the NE corner. Then a small hawk
(not a falcon) flew out of the trees right by me and to the south,
staying low and curving low into the woods at the south end of the ridge.
It was way too small for a Cooper's so could only have been a
Sharp-shinned. This brings to mind again the similarity of the juvenile
Sharp-shinned and the Prairie type of Merlin. Looking in Sibley, the
figures at rest show a distinct difference comparing the length of the
wings and the tail. I don't see any other characteristics which could be
easily observed. Are there any other distinctive characteristics to look
for (you who know)?  For anyone who knows these hawks, well , is it usual
for the Merlin to sit high on a tree or with an open view and the
Sharp-shinned and not to, but to confine itself to be hidden in the tree?

Then after checking for the merlin again, at 3:30 I found it in the big
oak north of the mausoleum feasting on a kill. (Section R on the other
side of the road.) The prey was a medium sized bird. The feathers had
been plucked and the merlin was into the meat. It was in the same exact
spot I had seen it about a week ago just a little bit later. I went
elsewhere and came back about 4:30 and it was still there. I walked
underneath to see if I could find the carcass (did not) and the bird took
off, flew east a short way and settled at the top of a large spruce in
section 48. Although it was at the very top of a branch, it would not
have been easily seen if you did not know exactly where to look.

Happy New Year
Rich
Richard Cressman
Columbus OH