OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2007

From:
Steve Cagan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Cagan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Feb 2007 21:18:43 -0500
Hi Everyone,

After too much time being too busy to bird, Beth and I finally got out
today. Would it be gulls and ducks on Lake Erie, or a shot at the Harris¹
Sparrow in Holmes County? In the end rarity won out, and we made the trek
down there (as Suzanne had pointed out, driving down from Cleveland on Ohio
94 was a great ride in any event.

It was a good trip. We saw the sparrow, and more. In Holmes County, but not
at the Millers¹, we had:

Northern Mockingbird- 2-3
Eastern Bluebird (quite a few, in different places)
Northern Cardinal
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch (a lot!)
Red-breasted Nuthatch (1)
White-crowned Sparrow
Blue Jay
Morning Dove
American Robin
Rock Pigeon
House Sparrow
European Starling
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Eastern Screech Owl (red phase‹in an owl box on a post on Township Hwy 366)
Red-tailed hawk--several

At the Millers¹ we had:

HARRIS¹ SPARROW (lots of good looks‹we¹re about #s 260 and 261 to sign the
book)
White-crowned Sparrow (lots‹they told us they are regular visitors there for
the winter)
White-throated Sparrow
Song Sparrow
American Tree Sparrow
American Goldfinch
Carolina Wren
Red-tailed Hawk (a pair, soaring overhead)
Northern Mockingbird
Red-bellied Woodpecker
White-breasted Nuthatch
Wilson¹s Snipe (also a regular winter visitor to the farm)

We went up to the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, where we heard Black-capped
Chickadees and lots of America Goldfinch. At the Station Road Trailhead we
had:

Red-tailed Hawk (four flying over the river, one calling quite a bit)
Pied-billed Grebe (one, in the river)
Hairy Woodpecker (1)
Double-crested Cormorants (a flight of 8 or 10)
Mallard (a flight of about two dozen)
And, in non-avian wildlife, two beavers sitting at the shore and eating the
bark off branches‹terrific looks

Finally, as the sky was getting dark(er), we went over to the Coliseum site
(SR 303 just west of I-271), wondering if there might still be Short-eared
Owls there. None appeared, at least by the time we left (about 6:20). Among
the little stands of pines in the field, we found one with tons of whitewash
on numerous branches, but we found no pellets nor any owls...

Best wishes,

Steve Cagan
Cleveland Hts

-----