OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2007

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Sep 2007 16:36:20 -0700
Greetings---I went up to Pymatuning today 9/15.  There is a little bit of mudflats at the west end of the Rte. 85 causeway.  Found in this area were:  green heron, merlin, sempalmated plover, greater & lesser yellowlegs, stilt sandpiper, belted kingfisher e. phoebe, and scarlet tanager.  Over on the PA side of Pymatuning I added great egret, bald eagle, Am. kestrel, Caspian tern, and e. bluebirds.  Next I ventured up to Conneaut.  Big mistake...today was the annual re-enactment of the D-Day landing.  I couldn't even get out to the flats, it was blocked by "soldiers".  A green heron and 2 black-crowned night-herons were at the lagoon.  Next I went west to Lake Shore Park in Ashtabula.  Another mistake...Rib Burn-Off taking place there.  I tried a little lake watching from the bluff above the boat launch, but saw nothing better than double-crested cormorants.  Last stop was at the small lake beside the Ashtabula Mall.  This lake is usually good for waterbirds, but today it
 had only geese.  Sensing more bad luck, I didn't even go to Walnut Beach.   Later, Craig