OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2007

Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2007 20:29:58 -0400
My dad and I birded at Lake Erie this weekend, a treat that we do not get to
experience very often.  On 9/23/07, Sheldon Marsh was the Highlight and we
saw may warblers and other birds including:
Kinglets
Yellow Warbler (1)
White throated Sparrows
Black and White (2)
Blackpoll (several)
Chestnut Sided (several)
Magnolia
F. Redstart
Black Throated Blue !!!!
Phoebe
Nashville (1)
Cedar Waxwings (many)
Red Tail Hawk
Sharp Shin Hawk
Mute Swan
Little Green Heron
Kingfisher
Red Winged
Chimney Swifts
Great Egrets
Cormorants
Ringed Billed Gulls
Catbirds

We also had some Warblers and other birds at Magee but we had to work for
them.
Chestnut Sided (several)
Dozens Red Winged Blackbirds
Kentucky -this bird was up by the office seen from the tower
Blackpolls
Catbirds
Great Blues
Swan Tundra(?) all black bill
Northern Harrier (2)
F. Blackburnian

Our best time was at East Harbor State park on 9/23/07 where we birded from
8:30-9:30 at the Campers Only Dock.  We ran into an interesting mix of birds
including;
Yellow bellied Sapsuckers (2)
Flickers (2)
Red Bellied
Downy
Cuckoos (2)
Robins (numerous)
Pied Billed Grebes(3)
Blackpolls
Red Eyed Vireo
Parula
Cedar Waxwings
There were also many more Warblers that we could not or did not have time to
identify.

At the beach there were:
Common Terns ( 100 plus)
Bonaparte Gulls (several)
Glaucous Gulls (20
Greater Blacked Backed Gull (10
Ringed Bills (150 plus)
TV- eating something dead on the beach
We also saw from the beach Hairy Woodpecker,Redwing Blackbirds, Flickers and
Red Bellied

I would recommend that if you don't have alot of time you go for East
Harbor!!!!

Shaune and Jim Skinner

Additional discussions can be found in our forums, at
www.ohiobirds.org/forum/.