OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2007

From:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Sep 2007 13:05:04 -0700
Hey all -

Conneaut was more productive this morning than I have
seen it in a few years.  Birds were dropping in,
sticking around a couple seconds, or minutes, or not
at all - and heading on their way.  The RUFF dropped
in for about a minute w/a Greater Yellowlegs around
7:00 a.m. and I was able to share it briefly with a PA
birder.  More details will follow, but I am a bit
pressed for time, having spent so much time afield.
The shorebird list follows...birds were still moving
when I left at 11.  Also noteworthy were 3 MERLINS,
including a male that sat on the flats.

HBSP had the biggest "fallout" of Blackpoll Warblers I
have ever witnessed...my count was 86, covering HBSP
and a few feet of the Zimmerman trail.  This is surely
conservative...each bush and tree literally contained
3 or 4 of these birds.  Hopefully, the warbler
conference caught some of this flight.  Oddly though,
no other warbler sp. was particularly numerous, though
6 Cape Mays were nice.

Conneaut Harbor - 6:00 a.m.-11:15 a.m. -

Black-bellied Plover  7
Semipalmated Plover  50
Greater Yellowlegs  1
Lesser Yellowlegs  15