OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2007

From:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Nov 2007 13:53:13 -0500
On behalf of Dr. Jed Burtt, please join the DCBC meeting tomorrow evening
Monday Nov. 26 (social 7pm, meeting starts at 7:30pm).  Ohio Wesleyan
University Science Center in room 163 and parking is available in the
parking lot beside the Science Center or in the Selby Field lot on Henry Rd.
across the street from the Science Center.  As always there will be
refreshments, a specimen quiz, news of local birds, and a program.  Members
and guests welcome!

Delaware County Bird Club Newsletter

Vol. 22  No. 7                                             Delaware County
Bird Club Newsletter                                          November  2007

In search of the Quetzal

The Resplendent Quetzal with its emerald green back and crest, scarlet
breast, and long white and black barred tail feathers symbolizes the mists
and mystery of the cloud forests of Central America.  It was the sacred bird
of the Mayas.  To cause the death of a quetzal was a crime punishable by
death of the miscreant.  Yet the Mayan chiefs and priests wore robes of
feathers plucked from nesting quetzals by "professional" feather collectors.
This is only one of many legends that have come down to us through the mists
of time and the cloud forests.

Join Michael Packer of Columbus Audubon on November 26, for a photographic
journey in search of native Costa Rican birds and winter migrants from Ohio.
In 10 days, he and his colleagues traveled both coasts and 11,000 feet from
sea level to the paramo of the Talamancas to log over 300 unique species of
tropical birds and over 100 species of jungle creatures.

UPCOMING EVENTS

       Date   Topic/speaker

Nov   26   In search of the Quetzal

Dec    10   Goals (Hopes?) for Christmas Count 2007

                   (Note the date of this meeting!)

This will be our 20th Christmas Bird Count. Join us on December 10 for a
visit by the spirits of Christmas Counts Past and Future.   In how many
counts have you participated?  In what year  did you join the Delaware
count?  Do you participate in other counts?  If so, how many?  What is your
favorite memory of the counts?  Please send your answers to these questions
or to questions I have not thought of to Jed Burtt  ( [log in to unmask] or
Department of Zoology, Ohio Wesleyan University, Delaware, OH  43015-2390 or
call 740-368-3886).  I will compile our collective recollections for an
anniversary retrospective of the Delaware Reservoir Christmas Bird Count.
If you have never participated in the Delaware Christmas Bird Count,
consider doing so this year.  When better to start than in a year of
celebration?  Contact Jed Burtt (740-368-3886) to reserve a place among
those who traditionally spend a cold, often wet Sunday near Christmas
roaming the north-central portion of Delaware County to count all the birds
we can find.   Look for further information in the next Newsletter.  But
plan now for:

Dec   16, 2007

20th Delaware Reservoir Christmas Bird Count

As you think ahead to 2008 (Can it be!) reserve the following dates on your
Calendar for our monthly meetings:

                January  28

                February  25

                March   24           Tom Sheley, Birding Trails in Texas,

                April  28               Charlie Bombaci, Prothonotary
Warbler update for the Hoover Nature Preserve

In addition our first field trip will be to Lake Erie along the Cleveland
waterfront on 20 January 2008.  Join us a day of wintering ducks and gulls,
but plan to dress warmly.

Winter on the Wilds

Al Parker

For those now facing the reality of winter and wondering what to do, wonder
no longer.  The list of upcoming activities at The WILDS follows and is
posted on the new WILDS website.

Dec     1   Wildcats                                  10:00-16:00

Dec     8   Forest Exploration Day      10:00-16:00

Dec   15   Wild, Winter Tour               10:00-16:00

Jan       5   Raptor Field ID Day            10:00-16:00

Jan     12   Eagle Survey Day                08:00-14:00

Feb       9   Raptor Field ID Day            10:00-16:00

Feb    23   to be announced

Mar     8   Prairie Exploration Day    10:00-16:00

Mar   22   Cabin Fever Tour                10:00-16:00

BIRDING BY EAR WEEKEND

May 30-June 1, 2008

Put this one on your calendar!!!    There will be:

Some Great Birding Speakers

Focus on Warbler ID

Off-site trips to other nearby bird hotspots

Fun and learning with other birders

DON'T FORGET TO SIGN YOUR KIDS AND GRANDKIDS UP FOR WILDECAMP SUMMER CAMPS
ON THE WILDS!

For information or reservations contact The WILDS ([log in to unmask]
or 740-638-5030 x 2286).

OSPREY?

Jim Martin

Friday, 26 October, the satellite transmitter of our male osprey stopped
transmitting.  Dick Tuttle was the person who called it to my attention
after he visited the ODNR website.  In response to his worried, but hopeful
email, Jim Martin responded:

"I recall when the telemetry was placed on the male Osprey's back (June
2005) asking Dave Sherman what the life-span of the device was.  He said
that it was about three years.  With that in mind, there is a possibility
that the "suspenders" that hold the transmitter on has simply rotted and
fallen off in the jungles of the Amazon and TM is just fine.  A bit of
wishful thinking but still a possibility.  I remain hopeful."  We all remain
hopeful and will be watching the north end of Alum Creek next March for his
return.

Functions of Colored Feathers

      On Monday evening the 22nd Lauren Smith described her recent work on
the antibacterial properties of brightly colored parrot feathers.
Apparently the scarlet feathers of Scarlet Macaws are not only a brilliant
signal, but are also resistant to bacterial degradation.  Blue, green and
black also resist degradation by bacteria and fungi. Yellow is not as good
at resisting destruction, but is better than white.  Lauren then speculated
on the distribution of differently colored parrots, but hopes to be able to
visit their habitats to check on the presence of bacterial and fungi that
degrade feathers and the presence of parrots.  This could take her to
habitats in Central and South America, Australia, and Africa.  Tough field
work, but somebody has to do it.  Inquiring minds want to know.

      Jack Stenger provided the second talk in a double bill.  He is looking
at the positioning of pale signal patches on the wings, body and
particularly the tail.  How do birds position these feathers to provide for
effective signals and protect the pale, easily worn feathers?  Jack (and
Jed) hope to determine what caused the damage we observe in worn tail
feathers. Was it caused by bacteria, lice, abrasion by airborne particles,
friction with other feathers, or by collision with a twig or some largish
object?  How does the effectiveness of the signal change as the pale
feathers become worn away.  Jack lead an interesting discussion of
possibilities, but the research is only beginning.  Stay tuned.