OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2007

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2007 08:00:19 -0500
I made a quick visit to most of the major access points of this reservoir NE of Columbus yesterday.  Despite the wind, waterbirds were fairly diverse for late November.  Water levels are still extraordinarily low, leaving huge exposed mudflats in many areas that don't normally have them by now.  Best spot was Oxbow Island, but every spot had some birds of merit.  Highlights included:

Dabbling Ducks - Wigeon have returned to the Walnut St. boat ramp, and Black Ducks were at several locations around the reservoir

Diving Ducks - Lesser Scaup had several flocks at different places, the largest being 50+ off Oxbow; a few Ring-necks were also off Oxbow.  Buffleheads were widespread as well, with 7 off the dam, 8 off Walnut St. and another 10 off Oxbow.  Oxbow also had 10+ Ruddy Ducks.

Mergansers - 3 Red-breasteds were off the east end of Oxbow.  Hoodeds were widepsread, with the largest flock of 80+ at Twin Bridges on the NE shore (this is an excellent place to look for them on windy days, as the cove here is very sheltered).

Other waterfowl - a Common Loon was off Oxbow, while Pied-billed Grebes were at several locations.

Gulls - I searched through good numbers of Ring-bills (600+), but all I could find was 10 Bonaparte's Gulls, mostly in the northern reaches of the lake.

Raptors - nothing unusual, although Red-tails were conspicuous at many locations.  Perhaps these are freshly-arrived winter residents?