OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2007

From:
Joe Hammond <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Hammond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2007 16:17:42 -0800
Greetings,

  I began feeling "ill" yesterday afternoon when I learned of the Bohemian Waxwings in Rocky River. I kept getting worse throughout the evening and decided I had better not go into work today, in fear of infecting my coworkers. So, Bill Heck and I drove up to Rocky River today in search of these elusive critters. Well, they certainly lived up to that description.

  Without going into gory details, we scoured Lakewood Park Cemetery, surrounding neighborhoods, Westwood Country Club, Clague Park, Elmwood Park, Rocky River Park, and Lakewood Park. There are a lot of fruiting trees around Rocky River and the birds could be anywhere. The best we could turn up were two starlings and about 10 robins. Passerine activity was pretty much nonexistent.

  The best birds were about 12 black scoters and 7 surf scoters at Rocky River Park, as well as the Ross's Goose at Lakewood Park.

  Good birding,

Joe Hammond
  Columbus, OH