From:
Popko Wiersma <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Popko Wiersma <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Apr 2008 11:12:26 -0400
Early Friday, at about 6 in the morning, we were driving over, what I
think must have been Mountview Rd in UPPER ARLINGTON, COLUMBUS. An
unidentified bird fluttered up from the road in the head lights in front
of the car. The encounter was very brief and we unfortunately did not see
any details. But the bird appeared smallish, say cowbird size, and most
notably to me was its whitish appearance. It's flight, as it flew up from
the road seemed fast, 'fluttering'. In first instance I was thinking some
sort of sparrow. But that would have been a very odd time, location and
behavior, I think. Having read the stories on WHIP-POOR-WILLS in urban
Columbus it starting thinking it might have been one.

My questions to fellow birders: could a WHIP-POOR-WILL look as decribed
above?

Second, have other people observed WPWs in urban COLUMBUS?

Yesterday, Saturday, late afternoon and evening in HIGHBANKS PARK,
COLUMBUS. At the start of the PET-TRAIL, what I think is refered to as the
orchard - but not sure:

Ovenbird, 1
Chestnut-sided warbler, 1-2
Blackburnian warbler, 1
ruby-crowned kinglet, 2+
Eastern Towhee, several
Eastern bluebird, 1 male
White-throated sparrow, many
Two unidentified Empidonax flycatchers, my guess: wood peewee's
One unidentiefied vireo. Probably Warbling
Woodthrush, 1 heared
Baltimore Oriole, 1 male
No Summer Tanager, :-(

At dusk several WOODCOCKS displaying at park entrance and at field
at "research center (?)".
GREAT HORNED OWLS, one in tree top and some calling.
Did not hear WHIP-POOR-WILL.

happy birding,

Popko Wiersma