From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 2008 18:01:22 -0700
Just skimmed through some of the posts from NE Ohio and as I suspected from my day's bird outing, it was a great migration day.  I don't think I saw anything that others didn't see, but here goes anyway.  Going in reverse chronological order just to compare to Tim Colborn's post, Ann and I did Erie Street Cemetery later in the day from about 3:30PM till just before the storm hit.  We saw the same sparrow species as Tim but maybe a couple more individuals of certain ones.  I confess I'm not good at estimating large numbers.  More than 10 and that's a lot to me.

                             Tim            Us
  Dark-eyed Junco           50-75          same
Song Sparrow              5-10           same
Fox Sparrow               4-6            at least 6, probably more
Chipping Sparrow           ~3            same
White-throated Sparrow      3            same
Savannah Sparrow            1-2            2
Swamp Sparrow               1              2
Field Sparrow               1              2 at least

  Other birds
                             Tim            Us
  American Woodcock           2            big zero
Eastern Phoebe              2-3           1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker    2            at least 12
Northern Flicker           12-15         same
Downy Woodpecker           2             zero
Ruby-crowned Kinglet       1             zero
Brown Creeper              1              6
Brown Thrasher             1           3 all in one spot
Hermit Thrush              6-8          at least 12
American Kestrel           1             zero
American Robin             ~12           ~30
Mourning Dove              2               0 ?

  And also

  House Finch                1
  American Goldfinch         1 flyover
White-breasted Nuthatch    1

  From 11:00AM till 2:00PM  birded outside the fence at Dike 14

  Dark-eyed Junco           ~40
Song Sparrow               10
  Fox Sparrow                 3
  Chipping Sparrow            2
  White-throated Sparrow      2
  Savannah Sparrow            6
  Field Sparrow               6
  Yellow-bellied Sapsucker    6
Northern Flicker            4
  Blue Jay                   10
N.Rough-winged Swallow      1
Brown Creeper              10
Golden-crowned Kinglet      1
Hermit Thrush              25 at least
American Robin             30
Brown Thrasher             1 singing
Eastern Towhee             1 heard only
Red-winged Blackbird       20
Common Grackle             20
Brown-headed Cowbird        6

  In or around the Gordon Park boat basin

  Canada Goose               12
Lesser Scaup                2
Bufflehead                  1 female
Red-breasted Merganser     50+
Pied-billed Grebe           6
Horned Grebe                1
Double-crested Cormorant   30+  lots flying
Black-crowned Night Heron   1 adult and 1 immature
Turkey Vulture             10+ flying over
Red-tailed Hawk             1
Killdeer                    1
Bonaparte's Gull            6 in different plumage phases
Herring Gull                6
Belted Kingfisher           1

  John and Ann Edwards   Rocky River
Cuyahoga County