From:
"Robert S. Morton" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert S. Morton
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2008 09:25:23 -0400
Drove along the usual route. Drove behind Fremont's Water filtration plant
then took Rt. 6 west out of Fremont towards Pickerel Creek WA. Turned left
onto CR 265 and viewed the two private marshes on the left and newly-
created marshes past the 90-degree turn to the left. Then, drove to
Pickerel Creek. Saw huge flock Bonaparte's Gulls in corn-stubble field and
more kept coming. Identified:

9 Robins
6 Pied-billed Grebes
4 Double-crested Cormorants
4 Great Blue Herons
2 Great Egrets
40 Canada Geese
2 Trumpeter Swans
23 Gadwalls
3 Am. Widgeon
33 Mallards
37 Blue-wing Teal
40 N. Shovelers
6 Green-wing Teal
3 Ring-neck Ducks
9 Greater Scaup
6 Lesser Scaup
3 Hooded Merganser
1 Bald Eagle-immature
2 Red-tailed Hawk
2 Am. Kestrel
3 Kildeer
8 Common Snipe- A big maybe,I'm brushing up on my Sanpipers!!
200+ Bonaparte's Gulls
44 Ring-billed Gulls
6 Rock Dove
5 Mourning Dove
1 Belted Kingfisher
2 Red-bellied Woodpecker- heard them calling
2 Downy Woodpecker
1 N. Flicker
3 Blue Jay
8 Crow
3 Black-capped Chickadee
2 Tufted Titmouse
2 Red-breasted Nuthatch
1 White-breasted Nuthatch
100+ Starling
5 Chipping Sparrow
1 Song Sparrow
17 Dark-eyed Junco
4 Cardinal
14 Red-wing Blackbird
11 Common Grackle
2 Brown-headed Cowbirds
3 House Finch
5 Am. Goldfinch

John Burroughs (1837 - 1921), Birds and Poets, 1887
I value my garden more for being full of blackbirds than of cherries, and
very frankly give them fruit for their songs.