Date:
Sun, 27 Apr 2008 17:10:01 EDT
After seeing the list from yesterday's outing with the Ohio Young Birders
Club Linda handed me my field glasses after church which I took as a strong
hint. After lunch we headed to the preserve with hopes she would see much of
what the kids logged in Saturday. It was a positive sign when I parked the car
and there was a Northern Parula singing in the open above us. At the head of
the  trail we took we were met by two male Prothonotary Warblers and before we
finished and returned to the car 27 more males were logged in but no  females
have shown up yet. We watched several males collecting moss and rootlets  and
taking the material to cavities to construct their false nests in
anticipation of the arrival of the females. It is amazing how tolerant  Prothonotary
Warblers are to the presence of humans (although Linda says that  after 21 seasons
it is because the know me). We sat on a convenient log and  watched a male
collect material. He often came within 4 feet of us and as long  as we remained
still he seemed oblivious to our being there. Not the same  when another male
came close. The ensuing chase was reminiscent of the RAF and  the Battle of
Briton. Having dispatched the competition he went back to  collecting nest
material. At several locations we watch 3 and 4 males chasing  each other to
determine who had rights to the territory.

Following the creek we located numerous Northern Parula's and
Yellow-throated Warblers in the Sycamore trees. The forested area hosted many  Yellow-rumped
and Palm Warblers with some Black-and-white, Nashville and 1  Yellow Warbler.
We located a single Louisiana Waterthrush near a vernal  pool.

Other species of interest included 2 pairs of Red-headed Woodpeckers,
Baltimore Orioles, Wood Ducks, a Great Egret, Bank and Cliff Swallows and  Wood
Thrush.

Charlie Bombaci
Hoover Nature Preserve

listings at AOL Autos.