From:
Richard Cressman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 2008 17:14:26 -0400
4/7 Green Lawn Cem
Last night's radar indicated some good movement so I took several hours
to see if GLC was affected - it was.

There were no large concentrations but there was a variety birds were
moving-- some just "around" and some, apparently "through". The mix was
constantly changing and kept coming upon "new" ones. The YCNH was there
as I was taking what was to be my "last" trip around the pit.
Unfortunately, I was not able to find any Waterthrushes, as I hoped, the
rest MORE than made up for it.

Two birds I have never seen before at GLC in my 10 years here:

YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT HERON  - sitting along the lower end of the pond. A
touch of yellow on the front of the "crown". Seemed not too disturbed by
my presence.
AMERICAN WOODCOCK  - in ravine. A large, beautiful bird.

[+ means probably more than 9. With them and me both moving, it was hard
to really count]

New (to me) this year at GLC:

Winter Wren - x+
House Wren - x
Hermit Thrush - x+
Fox Sparrow x
Chipping Sparrow x+
Ruby-crowned Kinglet x
Golden-crowned kinglet  1f

Seen before, but notable:

Carolina Chickadee x
Red-tailed Hawk
? Hawk - It would be "safe" to call it a Cooper's, but, despite my very
limited experience with the Sharp-shinned, that is what it seemed more
like. It seemed too small for a Cooper's (seen at low altitude)[also had
this impression once at Blendon Woods MP, when it alighted and could be
seen as a Sharp-shinned] and it glided among the trees below tree top
level. It was almost overhead at one time and just above tree top level.
Very uncharacteristic of the Cooper's. But my experience with the SSHA is
so limited that I have a hard enough time IDing it for sure when
standing, let alone flying.

Great-horned Owl - (a lot of wash along the edge of the cavity  -- are
the young up and sitting out at times?  There seemed to be a lot of fluff
in back of  the head of the adult.)
All 5 expected woodpeckers: Downy, Hairy (f), Red-bellied, YB Sapsucker
(m& f)+, & N. Flicker
  (Only about the 3rd time in 10 years that I have been able to spot all
5 in one trip)
Belted Kingfisher
E. Phoebe  x - 2 repairing their nest by the pit - 2 others near the
bridge
Carolina Chickadee x
Brown Creeper x
Red-breasted Nuthatch