Date:
Sat, 17 May 2008 16:55:32 EDT
Today was one of those days that make me cringe. I led a walk for the
Columbus Audubon Society at Areas M and N of the Hoover Nature Preserve. Enter
Murphy’s Law. For most of the day that is what it proved to be, a walk. The
boardwalk at Area M had so many people fishing from it that it looked like a bee
hive. Rather than fight the crowd I turned to plan B, start at Area N. This
didn’t prove any better of a choice initially. The sky was cloudy, the
temperature cool and the wind strong. The birds kept low and the only species to  make
an appearance was a Red-headed Woodpecker. After trudging off-trail for  over
an hour without results a large portion of the group decided to call it
quits and they departed.  Five intrepid souls decided to remain with me as  I
continued to try to find activity. Exit Murphy’s Law, unless you were one of  the
group that left. The wind died down, the temperature rose, the sun came out,
and with it the Prothonotary Warblers and a few of their friends. The intrepid
 five were rewarded with close and clear views as we logged in 15
Prothonotary  Warblers, several of which had their picture taken. Along with them we
managed  to observe Baltimore Orioles, Northern Rough-winged Swallows, Cliff
Swallows,  Indigo Buntings, Ruby-throated Hummingbird, and Osprey. Not the best of
days but  at least we weren’t skunked. Hopefully things will be better for the
OYBC  program next Saturday. If not, the weatherman will discover the wrath
of  disgruntled Sicilian birder.

Charlie Bombaci

favorites at AOL Food.