Date:
Tue, 20 May 2008 19:52:45 EDT
I spent most of today at park system volunteer activities and only got  to do
some birding on the way home this afternoon. I had an afternoon shift to
assist with a preschooler program at Gallant Woods Preservation Park in
Delaware. On-the job training for my 20-month old granddaughter. As I turned  into the
park and drove to the Nature Center I was greeted by 3 Ring-necked
Pheasants. They wanted to be sure I got a good look, so they stopped in the  middle of
the road and stared at me.

After the program was finished I took an indirect path home via Area A of
the Delaware WA. They have been clearing the vegetation wholesale and the area
looks desolate. Trees, shrubs and tall grass have been eliminated. This may
eventually be nice for pheasant hunters, but almost every other species that
utilized this area will suffer. The intentions may be good but I fear what the
result will bear. This area was active and had a very diverse selection of
species in the past. Today it was limited to Tree Swallows, Canada Geese,
Mallards, a few Yellow Warblers, and one each of Eastern Kingbird, Song Sparrow,
Baltimore Oriole, Common Yellowthroat and Green Heron. A disappointing detour
today.

I finished the afternoon by stopping at one of my Prothonotary Warbler Nest
Box Trail areas near Galena. I located 8 new nest sites, all of which had a
female bringing material to the nest site. Other species observed included a
Louisiana Waterthrush, Great Crested Flycatcher, 2 Spotted Sandpipers, a Green
Heron and a pair of Red-headed Woodpeckers.

Charlie Bombaci

favorites at AOL Food.