Date:
Thu, 29 May 2008 22:54:36 EDT

Jim  Fry and I went to Big Island this afternoon. We didn’t get started until
after  lunch as Jim had the drive north from Hocking County to contend with
just to get  to my place in Delaware County.  Jim  was hoping the Black-necked
Stilt and Wilson’s Phalaropes would still be around.  Like everyone else we
had no luck with the stilts. I guess I used up my quota  for them Monday when
they put on a show for everyone. We did better with the  Phalaropes, locating 15
in the wetlands off Herr Road close to SR 95. One pair  constantly stayed
apart from the rest and displayed breeding behavior as they  copulated. Maybe Big
Island will join Hardin County and have a successful  breeding pair this
year. The Phalaropes were joined by a nice mix of additional  shorebirds including
Semipalmated Plovers, Semipalmated Sandpipers, White-rumped  Sandpipers,
Least Sandpipers, Dunlin, a Spotted sandpiper, and a Pectoral  Sandpiper. In the
grassland around the wetland were Bobolinks, Eastern  Meadowlarks, Grasshopper
Sparrows, Horned Larks and a Savannah Sparrow we heard  calling but didn’t
located.
In the old impoundment along Prospect-La Rue Road we located  several Common
Moorhens, Northern Pintails, Blue-winged Teal, a Great Egret and  listened to
Marsh Wrens singing. They did not come to the top of the cattails  and reeds
where we could observe them. There were several Pied-billed Grebes  with their
young tailing behind.
Charlie Bombaci

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.