OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 2008 17:39:14 GMT
Ben, Marie, Karen, et alia,

Since I am in California and thus unable to chase the black rail or even check on nesting species on my own property, I will risk a short essay on discussions such as we have seen regarding the use of tapes. The OOS website provides a forum for such debate and discussion, aptly called the OOS Forum. Several times in recent years I have begun threads there on various and sundry topics: on grasslands birds and haymaking, on the bag limit on rails, on cormorant culling. I have found that a few birders with opinions use this outlet, but I have been mostly disappointed that the response has not been more spirited. Can we not have critical discussion without our metaphorical feathers being ruffled?

I go way back with this listserve, at least about as far back as it goes, well before the OOS. I really see no problem with the discussion that has taken place, and find no issue with it happening here. We don't need to have such thin skins, and as long as direct name-calling is not used, why not? It seems like an acceptably civil discussion of a real birding issue.

As for the underused OOS Forum, why?

It is far easier to respond here, where just about everyone will see it. But the Forum provides room for more lengthy discussion if people really want to duke it out.

Bob Evans
Geologist, etc.
Hopewell Township, Muskingum County