OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2008

Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 2008 22:38:17 GMT
Douglas and others,

Last year I initiated an OOS Forum discussion of the bag limit on rails. This has been a perennial sore spot with me, and I initiated the discussion after being reminded about the season and limits in the sports section of The Columbus Dispatch.

The forum discussion was very interesting and educational, at least for me. It included a couple comments about how tasty rails are, althjough no recipes were offered. Eventually (after a few weeks) the posts elicited a response from someone among us who has actually hunted rails, and who had the courage to post some of his personal experience.

The website statistics currently show 9 posts from 6 respondents, and 1026 views of this discussion (obviously a lot of lurkers, which is actually great.) Rather than repeating the salient points here I invite anyone interested to read the thread, accessed by going to the OOS site (ohiobirds.org), clicking on the link to the Ohio Birding Forum (heretofore sloppily refered to as the OOS Forum), clicking on Conservation Issues, and following that to the thread about Rail Season. Interesting stuff for all concerned.

As a couple of adjunct thoughts:

The forum discussion was a little like the old time games of chess by mail. The debate lost a little momentum from its obscure location, a fact demonstrated by the protracted dates of submissions. Discussions and debates on this list are much more immediate.

Subscribers on this list should see how birders sometimes upbraid each other on other regional and state lists. We in Ohio are an outstandingly civil bunch (but then you knew that.)

Bob Evans
Geologist, etc.
Hopewell Township, Muskingum County (currently at work in Lake Forest, CA, where by my reckoning there is neither a bonafide lake nor a forest)