OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2008

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 2008 21:57:13 -0400
I spent several hours around the southern end of Alum Lake (North of Columbus) this morning looking for migrants.  I focused most of  my effort around the shoreline traps at New Galena, Plumb Rd, and the Visitor's Center.  Warblers and Thrushes appeared to have a good movement with lesser numbers of vireos & flycatchers.  Waterbirds and raptors were virtually absent, other than the usual large pile of Ring-billed Gulls loitering on the beach (350 this morning).  Highlights included:

woodpeckers - 6-8 flickers was a good number for a species that will be a more common migrant in 1-2 weeks, while a Pileated at New Galena was unusual due to the lack of mature forest here

flycatchers - not many, with 3-4 Pewees as the standouts, along with single Phoebes & Acadian

swallows - also low, with only 4-5 Rough-wings flying around off the beach

Vireos - 2-3 red-eyes were at each location, while single Warbling was at New Galena and a solitary Blue-headed was at the Visitor's center.  New Galena had 3 still-singing White-eyed Vireos.

Thrushes - good numbers of Swainson's Thrushes at all locations, which is surprising given the lack of dens woods here.  Single Gray-cheeks were at New Galena and Plumb Rd.

Mimids - Catbirds were abundant at New Galena (40+), but merely numerous at other locations.  2 Brown Thrashers were lurking in the scrub south of the Visitor's center, along with a pair of Mockingbirds.

Cedar Waxwings - good numbers, especially at Plub Rd which had 120+

Warblers - 10 species, but no exceptional numbers.  Redstarts (8) and Blackpolls (8) were most numerous, followed by Magnolias and Black-thr.Greens.  Others were Nashville, Tennessee, Cape May, Bay-breasted, Ovenbirds, Common Yellowthroats

Grosbeaks,Buntings - 2 Rose-br.Grosbeaks were always welcome, but no buntings were found