OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2008

From:
Kimberly Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 19 Oct 2008 17:44:53 EDT

As Kenn mentioned in an earlier post, he and I led a  field trip for the
Audubon Assembly this morning.  What he didn’t mention was that is was  actually a
"Kim is so selfish" field trip. What exactly do I mean by that?  Here’s the
scoop…
The organization that I work for -- Black Swamp Bird  Observatory -- was one
of the Assembly partners.  During one of our early  planning meetings, Jerry
Tinianow, Director of Audubon Ohio, suggested that  someone really should do a
trip to Ohio Bird Sanctuary (OBS) because, for one -  it was close to the
Assembly location in Bellville, Ohio;  two - OBS is a really wonderful place  that’
s doing great work; and three - he felt that participants would really  enjoy
it.  Well, I immediately volunteered to lead that trip.  I  mean, yeah, I had
the best interests of our participants in mind, of course!  But, mostly I had
KIM in mind, because I had never been there myself, and  I've always wanted
to go.    Whew...true confessions are so  liberating.  Now that I've got that
off my chest...On with the  birds!
Acting on a tip from Cheryl Harner, we stopped  in route to the Sanctuary in
this sweet little piece of habitat to do some  birding.  Kenn already told you
this, but I don't care. I wanna tell you  too! Lots of great birds here,
including Yellow-rumped Warblers, Rusty  Blackbirds, and Red-shouldered Hawk. But,
the scene stealer was Merlin  himself.  Arriving in, for me, a very magical
way.
I felt like I was in a scene from some birding  movie.  Just picture
this.....
There we were on this frosty fall morning; a group of  birding compatriots,
standing in tight formation to combine body heat. The marsh  we were searching
was washed in misty fog, and absolutely everything looked  stunning bathed in
the golden light of early morning. We explored the scene  before us in unison,
longing for something to appear.  From my left I heard  Kenn utter one word
so softly that I wondered if I had only imagined it.   "Merlin," was all he
said.  Several seconds of intense searching brought  the bird to me, but it would
be several more seconds before its approach would  break the barrier of my
identification skills and place it firmly on my birding  radar.  It was indeed,
a Merlin.  Handsome. Glorious. FAST. He was a  total scene stealer. And he
wasn't done with us yet.  As he began to pass  overhead, he seemed to pause,
reconsider, and then drop down to investigate this  odd group of mammals looking
up at him.  Even sitting still, somehow, magically, he never really seemed to
be at  rest at all.  Baptized in golden  light, he gathered up our collective
breath and held it for several seconds  before winging off into the morning.
God, I love birding!
Thank you, Jerry Tinianow and Audubon Ohio for putting us out  there to
experience that moment!
Good Birding…as if there’s any other  kind!
Kim Kaufman
Black Swamp Bird Observatory