OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2008

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 2008 14:13:22 -0700
Again today I spent some time and effort fairly close to home here in eastern Mahoning Co., covering areas in Coitsville Twp., Poland Twp., Lowellville, Springfield Twp., Evans L., and Pine L.  There weren't any great number of any one species, but again I was pleasantly surprised by the variety of species overall.  Highlights were: wood ducks, Am. black ducks, blue-winged teal, hooded mergansers, 100 ruddy ducks, wild turkeys, pied-billed grebes, double-crested cormorants, great blue herons, 3 great egrets, turkey vultures, red-tailed hawks, Am. kestrel, Am. coots, 38 killdeer, belted kingfisher, n. flickers, horned lark, Carolina wren, golden-crowned kinglets, e. bluebirds, Am. robins, n. mockingbird, yellow-rumped warblers, chipping sparrows, swamp sparrow, dark-eyed juncos, rusty blackbirds, and pine siskin.  Most of the waterbirds were at Pine L., while Evans L. was pretty dead.  The rusties and siskin were at the north end of Pine L.  This
 reservoir has some real nice wetlands at both ends, where Yellow Creek enters and exits the lake.  Evans L. has seen much development around the shorelines recently, and is declining in value as wildlife habitat around it's edges.  Later, Craig