OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2008

Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2008 12:47:09 -0400
Hey everybody just a report to say that the Godwit reported yesterday by Sean is still over at Big Island at the same pond.  It was flying all over the pond to different mudbars.   Yesterday I mentioned the Godwit to a friend who was a Biology teacher over at the local high school.  Today he brought his class over to see it, at first we couldn't find it and they were a little disappointed.  But eventually one of them spotted it and 20 teenagers got to see their first rare bird.

I stayed around long enough to run into another fellow birder and then take some close up pics that I will post to the OOS site and probably Rare Birds as well.  I stayed low to the ground and was able to get to within 10-20 yards of it.

In addition to the white band that has "NN" on it there is also a red band on the left and a metal band on the right with what looks like a D or an O.  I talked to a Mr. Brad Andres who is involved with a banding opperation down in Chile and he said that a grad student up in Churchill might have done the banding.  He is going to look at it and report back to me and I will relay to the list.

Happy Birding and God Bless!

Steve