OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2008

Date:
Sat, 29 Nov 2008 19:03:55 -0500
Greetings everyone,

I've just returned from Kentucky and The Piliateds abounded.  I saw 6 and heard at least 4 more.  I was over at Cumberland falls area...great place btw.  They have had a problem with a critter that attacked all of the yellow pine in the area so there is now a ton of rotting wood everywhere...one's man trash....I also saw my first Sapsucker. I saw two Redbellied. A Hairy completes the wood section, In addition I saw 8 Waxwings, It seemed like every tree had at least one Chickadee on it.:-)  I also saw a Corolina Wren and a White Throated Sparrow as well.

The Cumberland River Dam is being repaired so they basically had to drain the lake a few years ago that has made prime weed habitat for all sorts of sparrows and finches.  I met a homeowner there and he reported that he had seen osprey in the area (sawyer lake)as well as "huge hawks. Some had a six foot wingspan."? I thought about staying around for an hour or two and just see what developed...then he told me about the cougars, bobcats, and bears (oh my!) that were in the area...so I decided to go back to my inlaws house.

Oh well nothing else on that end...except for the Crows...lots of Crows.

If someone could please send me (off list) some sort of  condensed "report" on the incident tonight, I will discuss it with a friend of mine tomorrow.  He deals with that stuff on a daily basis if you know what I mean.  Any info you can provide will help; I encourage to please report to the poachers line as well.  My friend might find it "interesting" and give me some ideas on what we can do to help the FWS in the future.

Thanks,

Steve.