OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2008

Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 2008 20:55:29 EST
Early today Bruce Simpson called to alert me of the Long-tailed Duck at
Schrock Lake in Sharon Woods Metro Park. I live just a few miles from Sharon
Woods but as events would have it I was stuck sitting at the house waiting for a
serviceman call, "we'll be there sometime between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM", right!
 He finally showed up at 4:10 PM. After he left Linda and I immediately
headed  for Sharon Woods fully expecting the Long-tailed Duck would be gone. The
Long-tailed Duck was there waiting for us and kept diving and coming up closer
and closer. We got great looks and it was still right off the dock at the
east  end of Schrock Lake at 6:00 PM when we left.

We had another surprise while watching the Long-tailed Duck. A Merlin was
working the field close to Schrock Lake. It flew right over us providing a
terrific look. Considering its location in the middle of suburban sprawl Sharon
Woods continually produces some great birds. Now if they will only cooperate
and  show up for the Christmas Bird Count on December 20th. Ali Shaw and the
rest of  the Sharon Woods gang would love to see you show up and help out with
the CBC  program [Yea, a cheap promotional plug - but you'll have fun].

Charlie Bombaci

Holiday needs. Search Now.
-aol-search/?ncid=emlcntussear00000001)