OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2009

From:
Kathi Hutton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 22 Feb 2009 16:27:09 -0600
My drive home from Columbus today was cold and blustery, but was
enlivened by 7 American Kestrels.  Two were hovering and a third was
flying over the median of southbound I-71, between Columbus and the SR
68 exit (Wilmington).  Two were seen along SR 68, in Clinton County
south of Wilmington, and two more were perched on SR 131 in Clermont
County, between Bethel and Felicity.  With the two I saw breeding on
Wed, that's 9 kestrels in 5 days.

Two Red-tailed Hawks were also observed on the same stretch of I-71, one
perched in a tree along the road, and the other swooping over the median
strip, low enough to have been clipped by a semi-truck if one had been
passing.  While I held my breath, the swooping hawk made a sharp
correction in time to lift up out of harm's way.

~Kathi Hutton
Felicity, Clermont County

http://katdocsworld.blogspot.com/