From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 3 Apr 2009 15:20:41 -0700
I was thinking that bad weather can = good birds, so this morning I headed out to look for migrants (grounded or staging) plus whatever else was about.  It turned out to be quite an interesting day, better for diversity than numbers overall.  Started in Mantua Twp. in Portage Co., where there are usually flooded fields in spring and hopefully migrant shorebirds.  I encountered the theme of the day: plenty of flooded ag fields (increasing as the day went on w/the constant rain), but only a few killdeers and no other shorebirds to be found.  There were often other good birds though, especially mixed blackbird flocks.  I was really pleased to find 10+ rusty blackbirds in Mantua Twp. and another 40+ in Colebrook Twp. in Ashtabula Co.  Wood ducks and e. meadowlarks were more conspicuous today too.  Highlights from other sites included 5 common loons at LaDue Res.; 6 blue-winged teal, 24 green-winged teal, 6 hooded mergansers, and 2 lesser yellowlegs
 at Orwell marsh in Ashtabula Co.; and 50+ Am. wigeon, 9 Am. black ducks, 2 n. pintails, 20+ green-winged teal, ring-necked ducks, lesser scaups, red-breasted mergansers, an actual wild-looking pair of ring-necked pheasants, bald eagle, osprey at nest site, belted kingfisher, and singing swamp sparrow at Mosquito L/WA.  Tree swallows are around and toughing it out.  Looks like a cold spell will put us on hold for the next few days............Craig