Date:
Sat, 2 May 2009 13:03:24 -0400
Although it was extremely birdy on the Chuckery trail (Summit Metroparks)
along the Cuyahoga river in Akron this morning, the warbler diversity was
still disappointing. Ridiculous numbers of yellow rumped warblers (99%) with
just a smattering of few others. Also saw a few palm, chestnut sided, yellow
and black/white warblers. Heard a blue winged and a common yellowthroat by
the parking lot. But the best bird was a hard-earned Kentucky warbler. Took
me 30 or so minutes of patience as I waited for him to show himself, but he
preferred to stay low in the dense brush and sing incessantly to aggravate
me. Finally my wait paid off, and he happened across the deer path I had
staked out. Got a splendid close view for all of 2 seconds, and confirmed my
i.d.  He was in the same area for at least 2 hrs this morning as retraced my
steps several times over 4 hours. Was not heard at noon though. Chuckery
entrance off Cuyahoga St., parking lot by 'signal tree', proceed past signal
tree across meadow to trailhead. Take the grassy trail fork curving to the
right, go about 100 ft or so until the path starts to curve left. Ky warbler
foraged in the vicinity of the white flowering apple tree on the left,
between the trail and the river. Deer trail is by wooden trail marker post.

Also saw
baltimore orioles
rose breasted grosbeaks (one on the feeder as I type this)
lots of white eyed and warbling vireos
towhees
swainson's thrush
rc kinglets
bg gnatcatchers
tons of white throated sparrows
brown thrasher
the usual other stuff

There is a white crowned sparrow at my feeder now. It's a great time to be a
birder!

Karen Gray
Copley - Summit Co.