From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 May 2009 20:30:41 -0400
The day started out great with two calling common loons on the lake and
flyby flock of 43 WHIMBRELS, and that was by 6:30.  I decided to head out to
my blind west of my house.  From there I heard a singing CONNECTICUT WARBLER
and a couple mourning warblers.  I got out to look for the Connecticut, but
only got a brief glimpse of it.  Walking through the yard I was able to hear
at least 9 different mourning warblers.  The weather was cool yet so I took
my dog out to the blind.  After about a half hour the dog decided she wanted
to get out of the blind so I walked her back to the house.  It was then that
I heard the KIRTLAND'S WARBLER.  I was able to get a quick glimpse of it.  I
tied the dog to a tree and went back and got my camera.  By that time the
Kirtland's had moved about 50 feet west along the cliff.  I was able to get
a couple shots of it before it flew downward and to the west.  I was unable
to hear or see it after that.

Despite searching along the beach and along the cliff throughout the day I
was unable to relocate the bird.  While searching, i was able to find a
female GOLDEN-WINGED WARBLER.  The Connecticut warbler was also not heard or
seen after the early morning sighting.  Other birds seen were alder, willow,
and Acadian flycatchers, yellow-billed cuckoo, Philadelphia vireo, Lincoln's
sparrow and 16 species of warblers.  Not a bad day.

A photo of the Kirtland's can be seen at:

http://www.rarebird.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4069&PID=11923#11923

The photo has been cropped.

John Pogacnik
4765 Lockwood Road