From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 May 2009 16:58:39 -0400
Aided by a fog delay at work, I spent an hour roaming this MetroPark southeast of Canal Winchester this morning.  While there wasn't a major fallout, there were many birds singing and the diversity was quite good.  This forested ridge often has breeding woodland birds that don't settle in areas closer to Columbus.  Notables included:

Ruby-thr.Hummingbirds - 2 males
E.Phoebe - 1 pair
Crested Flycatchers - 2
E.Kingbird - 1 near pond
Yellow-throated Vireo - 2 singing
Red-eyed Vireo - 12+ singing
House Wren - 14+
Blue-gray Gnatcatchers - 6-7
Swainson's Thrush - 3
Wood Thrush - 12+, most singing
Gray Catbirds - 10+
Brown Thrasher - 1 singing
Cedar Waxwings - 5+
Yellow Warbler - 4+ singing, mostly around pond area
Parula Warbler - 1 singing
Cerulean W. - 1 singing, 1st I've ever seen here despite good habitat
Nashville W. - 3 singing
Magnolia W. - 2 singing
Black-thr.Blue W. - 1 singing
Black-thr.Green - 5+
Yellow-throated W. - 1 (very atypical habitat, but it appeared to be a Sycamore race)
Blackburnian W. - 5+ singing
Yellow-rumped W. - 2
Palm W. - 1
American Redstart - 1 singing
Ovenbird - 1 singing
Kentucky W. - 2 singing (1-2 usually breed here)
Hooded Warbler - 4 singing (2-3 usually breed here)
Common Yellowthroat - 6 singing
Yellow-br.Chat - 1 singing
Scarlet tanager - 5 singing
Indigo Bunting - 6-7 singing
Rose-br.Grosbeak - 2 singing
Field Sparrows - 15+
Chipping Sparrows - 2 pairs
White-crowned Sparrows - 2 singing near pond
Baltimore Oriole - 3 males